Friday, April 11, 2014

Mulligan (Japan 3)


Japanese Cherry Blossoms

For our first real day in Tokyo we found a good breakfast at a cafe large enough for our family.  Then we headed to Ueno Park to see cherry blossoms and visit the zoo.  Thankfully, our hotel was a 5 min walk to the subway station.  A 15 minute ride with no transfers was the perfect introduction to the Tokyo train system, especially when the guide book claims figuring out the train system can drive a newcomer "to the brink of madness". 

As we rounded the bend and had our first glimpse of blossoms, I happily announce, "Cherry blossoms!"  
Peter says, "It's too early for cherry blossoms.  Maybe they're plum trees."  
I respond, "No, I'm pretty certain they are cherry."
To which he says, "Whatever, I guess we don't have to be technically correct."
TECHNICALLY CORRECT!  What my clueless husband didn't realize was those were fighting words.  I spent hours and hours, most of them in the wee hours of the morning when I should have been sleeping, planning this trip.  I had poured over blossom forecasts to time the trip just right for cherry blossoms.  I even knew the name for the cherry blossom picnicking going on--hanami.  I knew this particular park we were in was rated by many sites as the number one location for cherry blossoms, because it has over 1000 cherry trees.  
My blood silently boiled and I bit my tongue.  Once we got settled in the park I asked a group of locals what type of trees these were.  "Cherry," was their chorus.
Peter said, "So, you were right."


Ueno Park Hanami
But I don't want to just be right, I want us to be happy.  So I slide over on our little bit of curb I've been nursing the baby on and nestle my face in Peter's neck and plead, "I want us to stop feeling cranky with each other."  You see, it started days ago.  For me it began in the airport when I noticed he was wearing the same dirty shorts he had worn the day before.  For him it probably began when I asked him to fold the travel blanket a different way. I notice too many details, he not enough.  I ask too many questions, he asks too few.
So I say, "Let's declare a do-over."
He smiles and says, "Mulligan."
I ask, "What is that?"
He tells me, while wrapping his arm around my shoulder, "It's a golf term that basically means you get a second chance."
"I like it.  It can be our code word.  Mulligan.  Mulligan," I chant quietly in his ear, before kissing his cheek.


After nursing Asher on the curb.  Most areas have limited to no benches.
I shouldn't be too surprised since traditional Japanese homes don't use chairs.




I wish that was the last time we said mulligan that day, but alas it was not so.  Later in the day, I stopped to nurse the baby and had the rest of the family carry on, with the plan to meet up in 30 minutes to eat lunch together.  Then Asher only nursed 2 minutes, but I wasn't able to go anywhere or they wouldn't be able to find me again.  That was frustrating enough, but then add that they would have been in eye-sight if an animal display wasn't in the way and they had eaten lunch without me.  Once I joined them I decided all that looked good from the menu were fries and a soda.  Peter sweetly went to order for me, but came back with a thimble-sized soda that I got approximately 2 sips from before it was slurped up by our 6 children and no fries, because he figured I could eat the children's left-over, cold fries.  Not because he is inconsiderate, but because he wouldn't care if it were him.  "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself" races through my brain, but I'm too tired to do it right.  Mulligan.


We are lame.  This is the best shot of the Panda we could muster.

Never found the boating spot, but this picture depicts how I was feeling







             


Old people playing a type of croquet game was just what the boys needed to get rejuvenated



That night, after walking at least 3 miles through crowds, we had to walk more than a mile in the evening in search of a sub-par restaurant that was big enough for us.  I had to leave dinner early with only Asher, who was wailing, to walk home.  Walking the cold streets holding my baby close and crying with him.  Deep breath.  Mulligan!


No comments:

Post a Comment