Saturday, April 12, 2014

Let the Bloodletting Commence (Japan 6)




April 1, 2014
Email sent to my family
We're in Kyoto and getting settled in our cave.  Literally, a room with no windows and glaring fluorescent lights.  I hate fluorescent lights.  Feeling trapped in Japan.  We had a $50 taxi ride to the hotel and it is 30 minutes away from anything, so that means $100 for transport tomorrow.  An hour into getting settled and trying to be positive about the situation the owner informs us she will need to charge us $100 extra a night for the two babies and that it is the discounted price she tells us, as if we should be grateful. No other options available and no refunds and I've already paid in full.  So we are now paying $455 a night for this den of pain.  More actually because we also have to pay for showers, towels, and...electricity.  I've entered into the 2nd level of hell.  How many levels are there?  Seven?  I think we will get to experience them all on this trip.  Eva tossed in her bed for 15 minutes and then declared she had a nightmare.  I chuckled and said, "Silly, you have to be asleep to have a nightmare."  Oh, wait.  No, you don't, because I'm living one right now.   When I think of all the amazing resorts or places we could be enjoying with this price tag, I feel like I'm flushing money down the toilet.  Even if it is a Japanese-heated seat-butt spraying-toilet it isn't worth it.  Well, I'm off to cry some more. 

PS-Caleb's tooth fell out in Tokyo and the tooth fairy didn't come and Rachel said, "I think it was too small in this house for the tooth fairy." 





We used our Rail passes and took a 3 hour long bullet train to Kyoto.  The girls asked for a movie and I told them looking out the window was like a movie.  They had fun with that game, especially when we entered tunnels and they would pretend to pause the movie.  



The baby loved our new hotel.  All the tables were his height and so almost everything was within his reach.  He learned to climb this trip, because he was very motivated with all those goodies in eyesight.  

A few days in and we finally had time for a movie

The kitchen was a godsend

The hotel owner was nice, except for all the money she extorted from us.  We are bleeding money and the hemorrhage won't stop.  

This was my worst day, however Peter was so supportive and understanding and the children rallied around and gave me hugs whenever I would burst into tears.  My children and husband, once again, impressed me with how wonderful they are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment