Sunday, April 13, 2014

Let It Go (Japan 8)

Eva:  Mom, you wanted to see that white lady.

April 5, 2014
Email sent to family
Quick update:
• The tooth fairy finally came.  Thanks to Josiah's suggestion she brought 100 yen in all the different coins. He was so excited for Caleb, I think he might take a hammer to his own teeth.
• Nijo Castle's famed nightingale floors (squeak to ward of intruders) were a slight disappointment.  Maybe over 400 years of use has made them less reliable.  Gardens beautiful and meticulous.  Gardeners trim pine needles so they only face up.
• Lots of Japanese women are pigeon toed.  Only the women, so it isn't genetic.  A little google searching shows they either do it on purpose because they think it is more feminine, because of how they shuffle in kimonos, or possibly from sitting in seiza (on your knees with your feet tucked under your bum).  
• The women wear super high heels. I've seen a few roll their ankles trying to walk in their self-imposed torture device.  Why do women sacrifice for "beauty" in so many ways?  Wearing uncomfortable shoes with a loin cloth on a frigid day…I'd rather poke my eye.  
• I timed the cherry blossoms perfectly and everything is at its peak and it has now started "snowing" cherry blossoms.  Very beautiful.
• We saw four real geisha and it was very cool.  Since being home, I've discovered it's rare to encounter them.

Nijo Castle



Gardening to the extreme


To our amusement, while walking around Nijo Castle, Caleb recited an old Japanese poem learned years ago.  
old pond
a frog jumps in
sound of water
Both the poem and the castle were both created in the 1600s and the author, Basho, lived in Kyoto.  Serendipity.






Doing my usual










Philosopher's Walk







I think they smell my milk.  There were more of them until people gathered around to take photos.


I've got three words for you.  Let It Go.  The girls, mostly Eva, sang the song from Frozen over and over and the words they know are seriously only "let it go".  Appropriate, since I'm learning to let go of expectations and our money.




Gion






Cow Herding Game reaches its peak.
My children entertained themselves on many of our long walks by pretending they were cows or herders.

No comments:

Post a Comment