Saturday, April 12, 2014

Kicked Butt---Ours That Is (Japan 5)


March 31, 2014 (Evening)
Email sent to my family

Well, today did kick our butt a little.  We went to go up the Skytree, but it was closed due to wind.  We were able to eat some good food, though.  That means our entire day's jaunt for lunch.  We were too tired to go anywhere else.  Then on the way back I had us get off the subway one stop too late...too early would have been better.  That meant we had to meander up and under and over to get to the other side of the tracks.  Peter was very gracious about my mistake, which I sorely needed because we've been a little snippy with each other with our thinly veiled irritation.  You know when words say one thing but body language says something entirely different.   
I've been nursing a cold/sore throat before we left (which is the cause of most of my troubles....I just feel low energy/low motivation--being sick really stinks)...anyway Isaac and Josiah caught something today and are running fevers.  We leave for Kyoto tomorrow, so hopefully they travel all right.  I'm liking Japan, but some of it is really hard.  I had some people laugh at me today because I was nursing my baby.  We were at a communal table and he was wailing, so I discreetly began nursing him.  You would think they'd rather that then a screaming baby.  It stung a little because the whole time I was nursing they were laughing, giggling and averting their eyes.  I realize you can find that in the US also, but it was still aggravating/hurtful.  We are turned away from so many restaurants because of the children.  Tonight I went in search of a restaurant with only 3 of the children because the rest were feeling too sick.  Even with only three we were denied at some.  I'm tired of feeling like a pariah.  Hopefully, out of Tokyo it will be more child-friendly.

So, if we had gotten a hotel near here we would have feasted like kings.  Probably paid like one, too.  The Skytree is the 2nd tallest building in the world (634 m) and the tallest free standing one.  I was pretty disappointed we couldn't go up, but my ears were probably better off for it.  Flying while sick clogged my ears pretty fierce and it took over 10 days before they cleared fully.  Unfortunately, the flight back has done them in again.
Anyway, we didn't get to see Tokyo from 450 m, but we did get sung to in Japanese by the Cold Stone Creamery staff. I love that my children are so easy to please.





Engrossed.  Imagine if they got to see the real thing rather than just the display.




Asher nursing at the base of the Skytree



Grafting Cherry Trees near Skytree

UPDATE:
I want to clarify that most Japanese were very kind and friendly.  Although, it was hard being denied at some restaurants, usually it was a space constraint and they were just too tiny to accommodate more than a few people.  A few times it was because they didn't want children, but I think that was more of an issue due to where our hotel was located.  It was a nice area, but it was the business district, so the salarymen stopping to unwind after work didn't want our brood ruining their relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment