Friday, April 11, 2014

Leaving Home…Why? (Japan 1)

Why would I think a vacation could be better than my real life?

High Wind Advisory





Asher 7 months






Preparing for our Japan trip was stressful and it was a good indicator of how the real trip was going to be.  I bought tickets 3 weeks in advance, so I could time the cherry blossoms just right.  I thought 3 weeks would be plenty of time to find a hotel in the largest city in the world.  Yes, the largest city in the world and we're taking our 6 children!  A moment of panic as that sets in.  34.7 million + 8  What have I done?  I told myself it would be considered a success if we didn't lose anyone.  While in Japan, I counted my children so many times, I verged on becoming OCD.

Planning the itinerary and sorting the rail passes was easy compared to finding hotels.  I found one in Guam, Narita, and a shoe box room in Tokyo, which is fitting since everyone asks how we fit 6 children in our 1500 sq ft home and I tell them like this…ah, the video was removed.  See link instead.  
Kramer tucking Japanese guests into drawers (Seinfeld season 8 episode 7 "The Checks") 



However, finding something in Kyoto proved to be the most difficult.  I found a few love hotels, but obviously those don't allow children.  I contacted about 20 inns and vacation rentals and was rejected by all.  I cried on the phone to a Japanese stranger who was kind and attempted to help me find something and also informed me I should have booked a year in advance.  I inquired about camping.  I looked into canceling our trip.  Then one week before we were scheduled to leave, there was an opening at an overpriced guesthouse with terrible reviews.  I was elated.  After weeks of hand wringing, success!   

No comments:

Post a Comment