Thursday, January 19, 2023

Stressed, Not Dead

Feb 2022

As we finally piled into the van and our caravan took off from my in-laws two hours later than planned, I said, “I’ll try to give you an update tonight, but if you don’t hear from us don’t worry. We’re just stressed, not dead.”


No truer words have been uttered by my lips.  Our 6 hour drive turned into 8 hours, with only 5 hours going in the right direction.  Near the Utah/Idaho border I missed a turn and added an hour in the wrong direction.  Then in Montana on a desolate mountain pass late at night at 3ºF, the diesel truck began sputtering and shuddering.  We were able to hobble at 20 mph for 5 miles to get to a rest area.  I continued onward with the children trying to find a town with services to buy diesel fuel additive.  Another 1 hour driving, plus an hour of waiting at a freezing gas station for a report from Peter.  Two more pointless hours.  


Close to 10 pm, Eleanora reached her breaking point, as I was trying to solve this latest emergency on a pitch black, mountain road in some remote area of Montana.  When I finally found a gas station, I pulled her onto my lap to comfort her.  After 10 minutes, I told her I needed to go in before it closed and she asked pitifully, “But who will take care of me?”  I handed her off to capable siblings and did what needed to be done, before coming back and rocking her to sleep.



We eventually made it back to Peter a little before midnight and working quickly in the bitter cold wind got all the children into the trailer.  We left the trailer slide in and put them to bed fully clothed in the icy trailer.  



39º inside trailer at bedtime
54º upon waking



We spent the morning climbing over benches and squeezing past each other.  We kept the slide in to conserve heat and because we weren't properly stabilized.  Once we were settled in an RV park (the term is used very loosely here) we opened the slide and our trailer felt palatial! 

When morning came, we tried the truck again to no avail before calling a tow truck.  The reception was spotty, but if we stood just right a crackly call could be made.  



Tow truck time-lapse



We had a quiet day of waiting today.  Waiting for the tow truck.  Then waiting for the repair shop to open tomorrow and hoping it has the parts needed and we can still make it to Sandpoint in time for all our scheduled appointments. 

 

We got stuck in Kidd, MT between Dell and Dillon.  When I discovered we were following the Bitter Root Mountain Range, I laughed, “How appropriate!  It’s bitter cold and bitter disappointing.”


Thankfully, Peter and I have our breakdowns at different times so one of us can help the other through.  Today was his.  Mine will probably be tomorrow.  With all the waiting, I don’t have to wonder, “Who will take care of me?”  We take turns and we take care of each other.



SONG INSPIRATION

Fall On Me by Andrea Bocelli & Matteo Bocelli



I love Waffle Love, so we stopped to eat on our way out of Utah.  Parking the utility trailer is a beast and more difficult than the longer travel trailer.   If anyone was watching me get in this spot they probably thought of this clip.



No comments:

Post a Comment