Saturday, January 14, 2023

Four-Year Pregnancy


October 2021

Two years of two weeks to flatten the curve and living in one of the most locked down states in the country, we finally declared, "Enough!"


Early August 2021, we fasted and prayed for clarity and clarity came.  We both sobbed as we got the answer that we needed to find another job and move.  We were angry and hurt about being pushed out of a community and job we had loved and a home that felt like a dream.  


One day I was driving to Santa Fe alone and I was crying.  I said to myself, "You have one life to live.  What is your best life?"  I repeated over and over, "My best life, my best life," as I contemplated what that would look like.  I came up with a plan that brought me peace and I felt excited about, so I called Peter.  When I told him what I was thinking, I expected him to say, "That's crazy!" but instead he exclaimed, "I like it!  Let's do it."


We were so grateful we began our search for a better life and a better job two months earlier,  because unlike many that were left jobless when the mandates came in October, Peter had miraculously already found another job.  His new job is remote with a small company not mired with bureaucracy and he loves it.  


For the decision of where to build our nest for all our baby birds, I created a grid to compare all the states with criteria that were important to us.  Idaho won on the grid of freedom!  Late September, Peter and I flew to northern Idaho and in 6 days we drove over 700 miles and looked at over 30 properties.  The area was beautiful, remote, and the freedom palpable.*  


Drive from Coeur D'Alene to Sandpoint

Bull and Cow Moose seen while I was outside of the car in Sagle (cow not pictured)


Hilarious land description.  We actually went to see this one.  "Deadly force will be used" posted everywhere.  Had to be vetted.  First words out of his mouth, "You guys aren't liberals, are you?" Yikes.


We found 20 acres of raw land that we love!  It is at 2800 ft elevation and 1/4 mile from the Kaniksu National Forest, and is 60 miles from the Canadian border.  It is 30 minutes north of Sandpoint, where we will go for shopping and activities.  It is 1 1/2 hours north of Coeur D’Alene and 2 hours from the Spokane airport.

  









We plan on going up in the spring and living in our trailer while we build a barn with living quarters in the back.  Then we’ll live in that while we build our home.   We have so much to learn—how to live with bears and moose, and how to build a homestead.


This was the first time Peter and I were on a trip alone together that wasn’t camping.  We were in a beautiful area that many dream of visiting, but honestly, the trip was hard—both emotionally and physically.^   During the flight home, while Peter slept, I thought and thought about what I wanted and what we should do. I decided this was something I would regret not trying.  Peter agreed.  


I feel like I do every time I decide to get pregnant—excited and scared, I don’t feel ready, I know it is going to be hard and sometimes miserable and yet I choose to do it, because it is worth it.  This is going to be a very long pregnancy, but hopefully, we’ll birth something beautiful.


*At one point a little too palpable.  One of the properties we went to see was landlocked.  We had to drive along a ridge and then down into a meadow.  We parked on the narrow road, but the instant we stepped foot on the private property someone from the ridge began shooting repeatedly.  We quickly got back into the car and I had to do a ~5-point turn.  The shots didn't stop until we were about 30 feet down the road.  That piece of land will never be sold! 

^It took 24+hrs to make it to Idaho due to numerous flight cancellations (not weather related).  While in Idaho, we woke up before the sunrise and got home after sunset.  We ate simple fare in our Airbnb.  Peter would fall asleep and I would stay up until midnight planning out the next day's route.  Rinse and repeat.

NOTE:  I'm compiling this experience after almost a year!  I have been keeping a journal, but the sorting through thousands of photos was and always will be my downfall. 




Sandpoint has the largest lake in Idaho, longest bridge in Idaho, and is 45 minutes from the largest ski resort in Idaho.  Click on the links if you want to learn more about the area.

Our property is 5 min. north of Western Pleasure Ranch.  Their seasonal photo gallery is gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment