Sunday, January 29, 2023

Brave, Little Fighter


Eleanora took this picture

March 2022

My husband held up my daughter’s unicorn piñata, the one we had been carefully transporting since Colorado.  He had it attached to a haphazard stick he found and handed my daughter another shorter, random stick.

“That doesn’t seem safe,” I said.

“We’ll find out soon,” he said nonchalantly.  

I laughed and replied, “That piñata is going to feel like us soon.  It’s going to have the crap beaten out of it.”


Turns out, his plan was perfectly safe.  After four days of sheer emotional misery, the sun finally made an appearance and life was still terrible, but each day was a little better than the last.  I’m glad we were able to glean a few moments of happiness for my 7th child’s 5th birthday amidst the grief and panic Peter and I were experiencing.  

Opening gifts
Eleanora showing her gifts to brothers via video call






She wanted a bundt cake, so we carried this pan around the country for weeks.  Her excitement was worth it.






Birthday Cake

Funny nose cups we've been meaning to use since Rachel's birthday, weeks ago








Piñata bashing

















Birthday lunch and swimming





Newborn

A few hours old


Celebrating our daughter's life--our brave, little fighter--always puts trials in perspective.  I had six, home, water births and had hoped for the same with my seventh.  Unexpectedly, my water broke at 32 weeks pregnant and as my husband drove me to the hospital we wept at the possibility of losing this precious babe. 



I was able to keep her in for 6 more days, before giving birth at 33 weeks to a healthy, yet underdeveloped 5 lb 1 oz baby girl.  She spent three grueling weeks in the NICU and endured so much pain.  I have never been through anything so heart-wrenching and difficult.  

Sad little unicorn with a head IV



Another head IV--this one was worse because she could only nurse on one side


Tangle of cords

My sweet baby girl, is no longer a baby, but she's still our brave, little fighter.  We love you, Eleanora Skye! 

36 weeks old




SONG INSPIRATION
I listened to this song on repeat during those three weeks in the NICU and every day the following months.   I come back to this song again and again whenever I feel both broken and hopeful.  

Show Me lyrics
You could plant me like a tree beside a riverYou could tangle me in soil and let my roots run wildAnd I would blossom like a flower in the desertBut for now just let me cry
You could raise me like a banner in the battlePut victory like fire behind my shining eyesAnd I would drift like falling snow over the embersBut for now just let me lie
Bind up these broken bonesMercy bend and bring me back to lifeBut not before you show me how to die
Set me like a star before the morningLike a sun that steals the darkness from a world asleepAnd I'll illuminate the path You've laid before meBut for now just let me be
Bind up these broken bonesMercy bend and bring me back to lifeBut not before You show me how to dieNo, not before You show me how to die
So let me go like a leaf upon the waterLet me brave the wild currents flowing to the seaAnd I will disappear into a deeper beautyBut for now just stay with meGod, for now just stay with me



No comments:

Post a Comment