Thursday, July 16, 2020

Alaska! Skilak Lake 3



From Homer we drove to Skilak Lake, a 15-mile-long lake with glacier-fed water and depths of over 500 feet. 

It was a constant struggle and we had to be vigilant to keep the motion sickness at bay--Asher lost the battle this day.  There were many close calls, but this was the only time someone vomited.


Lower Skilak Lake



Upper Skilak Lake



We got to camp early enough to eat dinner, pan for gold in the creek, and enjoy a blaze with s’mores and singing with the ukulele.  It was fun to visit with Chrisann, Naomi, and Alex and the kids loved the dog, Rollo.  That night, Chrisann and Naomi opted for the trailer and gave Alex the tent to share with his dog.

It was beautiful, but the mosquitoes were plentiful!   Thankfully, I had bought head nets--they were life-savers.


Prepping s'more sticks

 Gold panning



Eleanora calls the squirrels lizards.  They are a small, red variety, but definitely don't look like lizards.  My little desert lass. 

















 


 




Sunset in the land of the midnight sun












Unlike the day before, the water was like glass in the morning.  I was able to do yoga and the one hour of stretching was much needed.  With my head net, the bugs didn’t bother me and the tranquility of the isolated lake was good for my soul. 







The water was bone-aching cold



Peter borrowed my crocs and decided to give it a try--I lasted longer. ;)
 





















No comments:

Post a Comment