Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Alaska! Homer 2


After a relaxing morning and playing with Alex's 45 lb force hunting longbow, we made the 1 1/2 hour drive to Homer and found a camping spot on the farthest end of the Homer Spit.  It was a rainy, cold day and I made us a stew and apple crisp.  Some brave souls went out in the rain, but my camera and I ventured out when the rain stopped.




Family with Alex and Rollo 










The kids threw so many rocks in the ocean.  After an hour they complained of tired arms, but continued to reach down to throw more rocks.*  Eleanora would do a cute, little, hopping dance after each rock she'd throw in the ocean.












Prepare yourself...we kissed our way through Alaska.




 


Fun with hair



















Naomi & Eva 





The sun would go down around midnight and rise again at about 4 am, but it never got completely dark.  Whenever you'd wake up you had no idea if it was 2 am or noon.  Peter had a hard time sleeping unless it was dark, so he'd sleep with a shirt over his eyes.  Thankfully, I can sleep in all light conditions, because I wouldn't be able to tolerate anything on my face--I often can't even tolerate my feet under the blankets.  However, this resulted in many mosquito bites on my feet and ankles.



We awoke to seagulls attacking our trailer--possibly from the stale bread and apple peels I stored in an outer trailer compartment to feed to the birds.  Haha, we got rid of that pronto!  It was a beautiful, clear, crisp day and we played on the beach again.  Homer is known as the halibut capital of the world so on our way out we stopped to enjoy some clam chowder and halibut fish 'n chips.  We skipped the King Crab, which cost $130 for 1 1/2 pounds!





It was interesting to note that the satellite dishes on the homes pointed at the horizon and not up









View of the Homer Spit from Skyline Drive

 










*After reading this, Chrisann wrote, "I can attest to her children's obsession with throwing rocks into the water.  It was as if they were on a mission to return all rocks from any beach back to the body of water they were next to.  This went on the entire trip and I was amazed at their dedication to the task!"

No comments:

Post a Comment