Monday, June 4, 2012

Thailand Adventures- Words You Never Want to Say

HONEY, WAS THAT A PROSTITUTE THAT MASSAGED US?

March 4 
The weirdest thing happened last night.  I think we were massaged by a prostitute.  You read that right.  The hotel we are in doesn't have a spa, but they said they had a nearby service they used and could call them for us.  First clue should have been that it was open 24 hrs.  When I answer the door, I am greeted by a bubbly woman (so far, all the masseuses have had a quiet, gentle demeanor).  She had long hair with dyed tips, let loose with a sparkly bow on top.  She had makeup and jewelry and long nails.  Her outfit was a mini-sleeveless dress with platform shoes.  Definitely not the usual spa attire!  Apparently she is flexible and ready for any situation, because when she realized we did indeed just want a massage she ordered us on the bed.  Not the typical aromatherapy massage--starting with the bottle of Johnson's baby oil and plethora phone calls taken and made during her rub down.  Caught us off-guard and although did nothing improper, I never want to do that again!  In the moment, you are doubting your thoughts and don't want to misjudge someone, but as I write it out it leaves no doubt.  Now I'm really creeped out.  Body shiver!  Thankfully tonight I'll be back at the hotel with the best spa and a real masseuse.




After being on the road for several days with no massage and Thai food the only option on the menu, we were excited to arrive at the Kantary Hotel.  Not only were we greeted with this sign, but the restaurant was delicious AND our room was upgraded to a two bedroom suite.  Imagine my delight upon entering the room and testing the bed (always the first thing I do) and finding that it wasn't complete and utter stone.  It was a teeny, tiny bit, dare I say, soft.  SOFT...A word I hadn't used in over two weeks.  Technically, it was still firm, but I could detect a little softness within its depths.
The evening was gearing up to be a fine one, life was good, and then we added to the list of things I NEVER thought we'd do:  

Get a massage from a prostitute. Check {insert creepy body shiver}

Oh well, at least for two hours that night she was doing nothing illicit.  Why would the hotel ever think a family traveling with 5 kids would be into that?  Apparently, a lot can be lost in translation.

1 comment: